Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spring Break 2015 Photo Diary

Most of us are back to the daily grind after spring break. As a high schooler, this couldn't be more real. I have AP tests, SAT IIs, and the SAT to tackle before the school year comes to an end. In light of this, I thought I'd reminisce on my memorable spring break to bring us all back and relieve us of our current stress for a bit.

I'm a junior in high school, so I'm in the thick of college visiting season. I spent four days of the beginning of my break up in Boston with my cousin who goes to college there and used my time to see three colleges. Getting there was tedious- I had to wake up at 5 am- but the sunrise I witnessed on the train was gorgeous.





Say hello to the New York skyline.
Check it out! The train ran by the seaside in Connecticut for a little while.


After arriving in Boston my cousin met up with me and we grabbed lunch at Faneuil Hall. It's like the Chelsea Market of Boston! 





Then we hopped onto the nearby Freedom Trail, a marked trail that goes through Boston with stops by numerous historic locations like Paul Revere's House and the cemetery where Ben Franklin is buried. 


Me and my cousin outside one of the historical landmarks of the Freedom Trail!

The site of the Boston Massacre (Fun fact: It was actually where the nearby
Bank of America building now is!)

The inside of what was once a public meeting hall


Ben Franklin's grave!
We stopped by at an overpriced cupcake bakery.

Me in front of the Massachusetts State House!

We walked southward on the Trail til we hit the Boston Common, a huge public park. There we met my cousin's roommate and switched to the the city's Black Heritage Trail, which is just like the Freedom Trail but focuses on African-American historical landmarks. Disappointingly, though they were marked, the Trail's sites were not as clearly distinguished as the Freedom Trail's. Fortunately, though, the neighborhood, Beacon Hill, was gorgeous. Our walk through it was very enjoyable. Did I mention just how much I admire the buildings in Boston? They are grossly underrated. Paris' architecture is hailed as a preservation of the old glory of the city, and New York's brownstones are regarded the same way. But how about Boston? It's even older than New York, but I've never heard much at all about its brownstones, each of which is surprisingly eclectic-looking in its own way unlike the monotony of those in Paris and New York. And Boston doesn't disappoint in the more modern aspects of architecture either. Walking through the Financial District earlier in the day, I couldn't stop oggling at the sheer gorgeous-ness of the city's few skyscrapers. I was even more excited by the city's older buildings. Here are a couple shots of Beacon Hill that hint at the uniqueness of Boston's architecture. 




For dinner that night, we visited the North End for some great Italian food. 

The next day I visited Tufts in the morning. I loved the walk there. Honestly, I could never have foreseen this given my absolute opposition to physical activity in any form but this trip really made me enjoy walking in cities. 


A pano of Tuft's main entrance. Click the pic to make it bigger!

Anyway, after my visit there, I met my cousin and a friend of hers for lunch at a great place called In a Pickle. I had their caramel french toast with fruit, and let me tell you- it's amazing. After our meal my cousin and I headed to her dorm, where we chilled out for the rest of the afternoon. We had dinner and took a short walk around campus with my little brother when he visited later. 

We're down to my last full day in Boston! It was a pretty busy day. In the morning I visited Northeastern University. It was a little windy and rainy, which was a bummer, but the tour went on nonetheless. I spent a couple hours at an on-campus cafe for lunch and to catch up on some work before leaving to walk to Boston University. The walk there was great! I got a better feel of Boston and saw some cool new sights, like Fenway Park!









Boston University was cool. Its campus is really integrated into the city, which I like. 








After that it was time to shop! I met my cousin at the Garment District, a super unique thrift shop near Cambridge. It has all different options- it even has Boston Costume on its first floor, for all your Halloween needs! There is also a pay-by-the-pound section (pano of that pile below) and a great vintage selection. And don't get me started on the interior design.








Later we caught dinner in Harvard Square at an awesome Korean restaurant named BonChon Chicken. The food was great. Go there if you can (Try the chicken!). 

After dinner we hit up the nearby Urban Outfitters (more on that haul later) and got some ice cream before going home.

In the morning we took the train home. My Boston trip was so much fun, which I'm so happy about cause I never expected to enjoy it that much. I really got a feel for Boston and I hope to maybe go to school there soon! 

So. Back to the train ride. I stopped in New York to see Barnard University. I was able to sit in a Developmental Economics class and take a tour of the campus. Then I took the train back home to Jersey!



Thus concluded my spring break travels. The only other exciting event was my birthday that Saturday! I turned 17. My friends came over for lunch and I had dinner with family at an Ethiopian restaurant. I ate all day and spent it with awesome people. This year was even better than my 16th birthday!


One of my friends got me Cards Against Humanity!

Dinner!

And then it was time for school again. I am procrastinating as I type this. Overall, I was pretty happy with my spring break. I did more than I thought I would, and it was so enjoyable. 

So what did you guys do over spring break? Comment below and let me know! Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment