Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Music of the Week: Mind Over Matter + More

Source
I'm not sure where I've been (a theory: on Tumblr furiously reblogging pictures of the Arctic Monkeys), but wherever it was, I've been missing out on Young the Giant. I explicitly remember that they were the first alt rock band I really got into when I first began diverging from the monotonous pop anthems of the radio in middle school. Young the Giant has a poppy sound that translates to indie rock because of the strong guitar, passionate vocals, and uniquely mild feel. These were my favorites, all from their self-named debut album, in middle school.



Today, Young the Giant released their sophomore album, Mind Over Matter. The album's lead single, "It's About Time", was released on October 28, 2013. Overall, it's a little more energetic and not as mild as their previous work. The melodies are just as passionate but the background music is clearer and more involved. 


Mind Over Matter Album Artwork
Source


Here's a little bonus I found on Tumblr to put a smile on your face. See for yourself how the hideous plastic things on the bottom ("otamatones", apparently) totally, but nonetheless hilariously, butcher the beautiful "Greensleeves".





The original Tumblr post:



So what do you think of the new YTG single and album? What did you think of the outrageous "otamatones"? Comment and email me at leatherandrouge@gmail.com with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment