Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Music of the Week: FTP's Back!

Source
It's a shame I'm not writing on time this week because an amazing thing happened yesterday. Foster the People released a new single, and they're releasing a whole new album soon!! 


Tobuscus <3
Source
I love Foster the People. I first started listening to them two years ago when "Pumped Up Kicks" went mainstream. I wasn't that into "Pumped Up Kicks", but its airy, laid back vibe led me to explore the rest of TorchesFTP's 2011 debut album. I instantly fell in love with it. With only ten tracks, there's not much to not like. Except for "I Would Do Anything For You" and "Pumped Up Kicks", all of the songs are upbeat in a sassy, eclectic way. The background synthesizer music is also unique to FTP. Here's Torches:




I like this whole entire album; there's not a single song that annoys me. My favorite things about it are:
  • Mark Foster's voice He has a huge range and a really cool timbre 
  • Opening music (Find two good examples in "Warrant" and "Helena Beat".) It sets the mood of the songs really well above all is super catchy and fun. 
  • Lyrics Their lyrics are amazing.
  • Catchy tunes I really like how their melodies are poppy and catchy but not annoying like popular pop songs. The indie twist to FTP's music saves them.
Now for the new stuff. Yesterday FTP released their first single, "Coming of Age", off their new album Supermodel, due to go on sale on March 18, 2014. Overall it has the signature FTP vibe I described above with more melodious vocals. I can't wait for the new album!

Fun fact: If you follow the "Coming of Age" link above you'll see that the video is a time lapse of the creation of a mural. It's a scaled up version of the Supermodel cover art and is in FTP's native LA. For more info, click here, click the "News" tab, and scroll to the bottom of the popup. 

The LA mural
Source
Original cover art
Source
I checked to see if FTP is going on tour for their new album. They are playing but for now have only scheduled festival tour dates. Coachella in Indio, CA and the Governer's Ball in NYC are the two big ones. Coachella will be early in April and is already sold out while the Governer's Ball is in early June and is still selling. Since I'm pretty close to NYC, I'd consider buying tickets; however, the $250 price tag poses an issue. Oh, well. I'm sure they'll be touring independently soon enough.

So, let me know what you think in the comments or in an email to leatherandrouge@gmail.com. See ya later!

No comments:

Post a Comment