Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fall Fashion: the Ankle Boot

As school starts up, so does Fall. And what does that mean? Wardrobe clean out! If I didn't already have my dream pair, the first item on my shopping list would be some nice new ankle boots. Now that I think of it, I'm actually dying for a black pair...

Ankle boots are really versatile. They usually vary in heel and shaft height. The first thing to know is the difference between an ankle bootie and an ankle boot. To the left is an ankle bootie and to the right is an ankle boot.


Left: Tory Burch 'Brita' Bootie, $395, nordstrom.com
Right: ZiGi girl 'Chilly' Boot, $89.95, nordstrom.com





















Ankle booties are also a fall trend, but in this post we're gonna focus on their casual cousins, the ankle boots. These two styles can be worn almost the same way, but the ankle bootie is more modern, classic, and overall more polished. If you're more into that, click here for Nordstrom's Fall 2013 ankle bootie inventory. (There may be some exceptions.)

First we have to define the ankle boot. Although they can definitely have heels, they're always low and never have stiletto heels and/or wedges. (The wedge is debatable; low ones can be considered ankle boots.) Therefore the heel is almost always cone or block shaped. The former is more casual than the latter.


Material is also key. Ankle boots are most commonly made of leather, usually a matte finish or suede. These pairs are almost always casual. Patent leather pairs are rare (not so much among designer brands, though) and exude an extremely trendy, modern vibe, especially with a pointy toe.


Now, let's take a look at some ankle boots. I'll include my outfit ideas, but instead of putting pictures together I'll incorporate links in so we can focus on the boots.



Franco Sarto Quasar Ankle Boots, $129, zappos.com
This pair is great for dressy casual to dressed-up ensembles. I'd rock these with a maroon neoprene minidress and nude lips (choose your shade carefully!). It would would great with casual styles too as long as the finish isn't too shiny (It's hard to judge what they'd look like under normal lighting-- here, they're under bright white photoshoot lights. This type of lighting can make them look more reflective than usual.).


Kork-Ease 'Velma' Bootie, $185, nordstrom.com
I love this pair because of its silhouette and color. The Chelsea boot is a really versatile style that can be worn with an endless amount of outfits. The natural color adds to this style's versatility. I would wear these with an earthy color palette to emphasize the beauty of the leather. (Here are the skirt and top I picked out.)


Vince Camuto 'Grayson' Bootie, $148.95, nordstrom.com
If you like to dressing up without overdoing it, these are a great option for you. The not-too-high heel makes it elegant while the suede upper and stacked heel keep it casual. Wear these with these clean pin-up shorts and this unique python-embossed crop for a statement look.


Clark's Originals Desert Boot, $109.99, clarksusa.com
This specific style, the desert boot, is another go-to. It gives skinnies and other pants a menswear-inspired feel and can rough up a pretty lace dress. Although I don't own these yet, they are a definite favorite of mine. (Add a true vintage tee to your desert boots and cords to add a rocker edge.)


Jeffrey Cambell 'Everwell' Boot, $154.95, nordstrom.com
Speaking of 'rocker', these boots definitely look it. The cutout and buckle details are totally cool. Along with some leather leggings and a slouchy oversized tee (in ivory), these would make an awesome downtown-cool outfit. 


Paul Green 'Romeo' Bootie, $440, nordstrom.com
When I think of black ankle boots, I usually think of the dressy type I featured first. However, they can also be super casual when made in a different material (suede, in this case) and paired with different details (visible stitching and buckle instead of a plain, clean upper). These give off a vintage cool vibe and would look classic with vintaged jeans and an ombre tee


10 Crosby Derek Lam 'Austin' Boot, $395, nordstrom.com
These pointy-toed statement booties display the creativity of the designer world. There are so many trends crammed in here: the pointy toe, cap toe, two-tone, abstract print, calf-hair...Did I miss any? Since these evidently are so grand, I'd center my outfit around them with an off-white pant suit to accent the tone at the back of the boot and a black silk tee to bring the toe out. I think I'd pop on a fedora to keep the outfit from getting too matchy-matchy and dull. (Warning: Do not shop/browse regularly at karmaloop.com. Except for the fedora I just linked, everything there seems to be plastered with "Obey" and the like.)

Now that I've enlightened you on the topic of ankle boots, do you have a new item on your wishlist? Tell me about it! Comment here and email me at leatherandrouge@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment