Thursday, December 5, 2013

How to Prevent a Bad Hair Day

Source
As a curly-haired girl, I think it's safe to say that I've had my fair share of bad hair days. After having my grandma do my hair til middle school and then straightening my hair every day for an entire year, when I finally wanted to leave it be I just didn't know what to do. I didn't know when to wash it, how to dry it, or how to style it (besides frying it daily). Now, I generally hate straightening my hair and try to go natural as much as possible. Okay, maybe I still put my hair up more than I should, but when I rock it, I rock it, if I don't say so myself. Here's your guide on how to treat your hair to prevent those pesky bad hair days so you can follow suit.

  • Rethink how often you wash your hair Generally, straight, thin hair needs to be washed slightly more often than thick, textured hair. This is because oil isn't obstructed by curls or waves and therefore travels down the hair shaft more quickly. However, that's just a rough guide; everyone's hair is a different mix of thin and thick, curly and straight. My hair is medium-thin and curly from the middle to ends. Start by washing it every other day. If your hair still isn't cooperating, wash it every two days. If you continue spacing out your washes and things still aren't working out for you, maybe you need to...
  • Stop using the wrong products! Once you've figured out whether your products are ruining your hair, it's easy to solve this problem. I suggest you take a look at the product first. Make sure it says the correct hair type. Not too hard. This is usually where people mess up. Don't buy Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight Shampoo and Conditioner if you've got a head full of ringlets and yearn for straighter locks. You're just not gonna get them that way. If your problem is worse than this, look through the ingredients list and check to see if you're allergic or sensitive to any of them. If you don't know if you are but suspect you might be, see your doctor.
  • Beware of product buildup Okay, so you've found your perfect match(es). Don't overdo it! A little product can go a long way for thin strands. You'll definitely need more for textured and/or thick hair, but you should still start out with less and add more as you go. Remember: you can always add more, but once you apply it, you won't be able to get it out. Check the bottle for the recommended amount of product. This is your best reference after experience because the amount needed differs from product to product. 
  • Ease up on the hot tools We're probably all guilty of this. I straightened my hair a lot in middle school, and in retrospect, I can say that it didn't do me much good. First off, straightening your hair causes it to become oilier by smoothing each strand and allowing natural oils to travel down the shaft more quickly. Doing this isn't good not only because you're literally frying your hair, but also because it makes your hair unnaturally oily on a regular basis. Healthy hair can tolerate styling about 3 days a week, given you use a protective product each time. But while your hair's still healing, don't style it with heat at all. If your natural hair is annoying you, experiment with updos. You can never go wrong with one! In the meantime, eat healthy, wash regularly, and read on for more tips that will help you heal your hair faster.
  • Not too many ponytails and/or buns... I agree that if your hair is totally unacceptable down, you have to do some sort of updo to hide it. However, don't tighten that ponytail too much, cause that's a major cause of breakage. The sheer force of pulling your hair tight causes strands to break. Repeated breakage can in turn lead to split ends and brittleness. To keep this from happening, give your hair a break by letting it down whenever you get the chance. As your hair heals, you can stop making a point to do so.
  • Pick up the brush Before, I didn't brush my hair because I thought it would ruin my curls. Truthfully, it can change the way your curls look, but it isn't that drastic and a little difference isn't so bad in the long run. If you don't brush your hair regularly, it'll eventually become seriously unmanageable. This is mostly a problem for curly-haired girls, who, like me, can be afraid of brushing. However, I have a friend with thick, super straight hair who prefers a comb because brushes create static and turn her into a mad scientist. If this happens to you too, try combing after brushing your hair out. Brushing it will work most of the knots out, and the comb will get the finer ones out and smooth your hair down. If this doesn't work, use only a comb. Just keep in mind that fine-toothed versions can be harsh on knotty strands. If you have curls and don't wanna mess with them, brush your hair in the shower with conditioner still in. This way it won't break up your curls too drastically because the conditioner will be detangling your hair anyway. 
  • Revamp your diet The absolute best way to nurse your hair back to health is through your diet. Foods rich in iron, proteins, Vitamin A, Vitamin Bs, Vitamin C, and healthy fats are key players. Some examples include avocados, walnuts, salmon, spinach, kale, yogurt, and citrus fruits. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water. The recommended amount is half your weight (in pounds) in ounces. 
So, are you guilty of not following any of these rules? Have anything to add? And finally, what do you think of my grand reappearance after my nearly-month-long hibernation? Comment below and email me at leatherandrouge@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment