Saturday, June 6, 2015

May Favorites 2015

We're nearly a week into June but you couldn't tell from the looks of this blog.

Hey guys! Yet another month is over and that means that it's time for another monthly favorites post. May was a pretty big month for me academically; I had to endure five AP tests over the course of the first two weeks of last month. Luckily, after those tests were over many of my classes began winding down, but it was stressful nonetheless. Here are some things that helped me keep the stress at bay in May.



Majestic Casual


I featured this YouTube channel in a previous "Now Playing" post so I know I've talked about it already but I really didn't go into much depth before. Now I've explored more of Majestic Casual and its music and have a better idea of it along with some new recommendations!

Often people describe Majestic's genre as "chillwave" or "deep house", which do indeed sound pretentious and ultimately don't really help one understand the genre so let me put it to you straight. It's like that atmospheric electronic/modern music you hear sometimes in trendy stores at the mall. There are a lot of remixes and electronic artists and stuff like that. Give a few songs a try and you'll see what I mean. 

I also like that Majestic uploads regularly-- once every day to few days-- and that it features up-and-coming or less-heard-of artists. It's awesome for finding new music! I especially appreciate this channel because I'm not too acquainted with electronic music/anything other than Top 40 hits and basically-mainstream alternative music sooo I'm really looking forward to changing that. Here are a few recommendations from the channel!







Maybelline Volum'Express The Rocket Mascara

Source

I've had this mascara for a while (I really should throw it out honestly) but I haven't used it until recently because when I first tried it the formula didn't build on my super-thin lashes and was pretty useless. It was annoying because I had read tons of great reviews saying that the mascara really "pumped up" people's lashes and whatnot. Anyhow, I started running out of mascara last month and thought I'd give this another go. Interestingly enough, this time around it actually did what those reviews had raved about. Maybe it had something to do with it sitting around for so long (ew). I don't know. But it did work for sure last month. I will say that I'm not a fan of the applicator, though. It has hard plastic bristles, which don't seem like the best thing to be combing through delicate eyelashes on a regular basis. I've ignored this con for the most part because I care more about the product, but it's still something to take into consideration. Ultimately, I want to start using an eyelash primer to use with mascara instead of experimenting layering different mascaras because I have thin lashes and an eyelash primer would really streamline my eye makeup routine. I encourage anyone else who also has thin lashes to consider working this into their routine as well.


Jus Reign

I've got another YouTube recommendation! However, this time there's a face behind the channel. 

I first discovered Jus Reign on Tumblr when I saw a reblog of one of his Vines. I'm really lazy, so though I noted to myself that I should look him up to check out more of his stuff, I didn't and he remained nameless to me for the time being.

Then Sam Pepper posted a "prank" in which he sexually assaulted multiple girls in public without their permission and the internet came down on him. Apparently Jus Reign joined in on this, because I saw him on my Tumblr dashboard again. This time, it was his Sam Pepper parody (Click the link. Do it. ). I checked him out this time because of his previous creds and because I wanted to know more about the Sam Pepper ordeal. Thus, I found the JusReign YouTube channel.

I started watching Jus Reign's videos in late 2014, but he started waay before that, in 2009. By the way, Jus Reign is his screen name; his real name is Jasmeet Singh. He's a first generation Punjabi-Canadian from the Toronto area. Jus Reign is super successful on Vine and Snapchat (@jusreign)-- he recently hit a million followers on Vine and is reportedly the most-added person on Snapchat in Canada-- but I'm focusing on his YouTube channel here. It's a mix of satirical comedy, parodies, and music videos. I love satire, so it's awesome to see someone do it so well on YouTube and not just on TV (i.e. Colbert + John Stewart). I'm impressed with the way he works it into his videos; people often express their confusion in the comments section of some of his music videos about whether the song is serious or not. And that's beautiful. In addition, one important thing I'd like to note is my appreciation of Jus Reign's pride in his culture and how he conveys that through his videos. He's stated that he wants to normalize the image of the turban, as he himself is a Turban-wearing Sikh, in people's eyes since it's so stigmatized, especially after the events of 9/11. As a fellow Indian I don't just feel that I can relate to him in that sense; I also feel kind of proud in a way.

I know I said that I first found Jus Reign's channel last year, but it's featured in this May favorites post because that's when I became invested in it. (That's an understatement, folks.) As I've said before, I had quite a few AP tests last month. After they were over, I wanted nothing to do with school. So I visited Jus Reign's vlog channel, JusVlogs. Now let me preface this. I had tried watching these before, when I first found Jus Reign, but when I recognized the super-unedited vlogging style I immediately did a 180 since I had been so conditioned by Jenn Im's visually and audially astounding vlogs. But I was so desperate to avoid anything school-related after AP testing was over that I basically forced myself to watch a Jus Reign vlog to keep myself occupied. I don't remember which vlog was the first one I really enjoyed, but soon enough I started really getting into them, contrary to how I thought I'd feel. To make a long story short, I spent the whole weekend (I started watching them on a Friday) and following week watching Jus Reign vlogs. It took over my life, guys. Thank God that mini-obsession is over. In all honesty though, what I really like about Jus Reign's vlogs is the personal feel they have since they're relatively unedited and casual. I especially like the parts of his vlogs where he just talks to the camera like he's having a conversation with his viewers. I feel like I'm like that too because I love just talking to people (hence the essay you're currently reading); that's kind of the point of this blog. Or maybe I feel drawn to it because I'm lonely and don't have friends to talk to and rely on vlogs for conservation instead. 


Damn, that was basically an entire essay. Anyway. TL;DR right now for those of you who've had enough of my babbling: overall, I really like Jus Reign's pride in his identity, his satire and his sense of humor. And his vlogs. He really puts a lot of effort into what he does but manages to stay light-hearted and humble about it. Check out some of my favorites videos of his here! Plus, check out the "Now Playing" gadget in the sidebar on the right to listen to a podcast with some awesome music and with Jus Reign as a guest.







So that's it for my May favorites! I didn't feature many things but I sure did write a lot. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! (:

-Amulya

No comments:

Post a Comment